The mission of PTAs everywhere is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. In short, we are advocates for ALL children. For over 120 years, we have been the largest, volunteer child advocacy association in the United States. The Alachua County Council of PTAs (ACCPTAs) supports and provides the county voice for our local PTA school units. We are proud to have been re-instated in 2016, thanks to the support of our school district and our school-level leadership.
2017 – 2018 Year in Review
- Attended 2017 Leadership Convention – Celebrated our 1st birthday!
- Met with all SBAC members
- ESE Open House
- ACCPTA Fall Training – Visit with Carolyn Nelson-Godert
- Hawthorne Middle-High School PTSA
- Santa Fe High School PTSA
- Mebane Middle School PTSA
- Re-Organized Idylwild Elementary School PTA
- Alachua County Public Schools Awareness Month – with League of Women Voters, UF ECC, & Education Foundation for Alachua County Public Schools
- Received declarations from 7 of 8 municipalities’ commissions and the Alachua County Commission
- 3 films about public school conditions
- Graham Center Symposium: From Hacks to Heroes o Forum: Alachua County Public Schools Now and Going Forward
- Met with all Alachua County Commissioners
- Spoke to the Alachua County Legislative Delegation public comment about school facilities.
- Attended the Real Talk Coalition Forum: Separate But Equal
- Raised awareness about for-profit charter schools.
- RADKids Advocacy
- Wrapped i3 Steering Committee with Chamber of Commerce tour of Idylwild and public endorsement of 1⁄2 cent sales tax initiative for SBAC.
- Started Community Facility Site Meetings with ACPS administration and facilities department.
- FLPTA All Children Are Our Children Summit
- Presented to Principals about the Fiscal Responsibility Training
- Started attending the Gainesville Youth Summit
- CRC Speech
- Impact Awards
- Attended the Innovative Classrooms Presentation with the Education Foundation of Alachua County Public Schools
- ACCPTA Reflections Judging
- Florida PTA Legislative Conference
- Office visits with our Alachua County Legislative Delegation and Education Committee Members
- MLK Walk & Dinner
- ACCPTA Training – Fiscal Responsivity with Alex Rella, ACPS Assistant Superintendent Finance & Jean Hovey, Executive Director Florida PTA
- Went to Sarasota to see innovative classrooms.
- RADKids Advocacy
- Finished school site facilities meetings
- Started serving on the School Planning Advisory Committee (SPAC).
- Attended the Rally in Tally
- Founder’s Week – PTA Week – Guests Cindy Gerhardt, FLPTA President, and Linda Kershner, FLPTA President-Elect
- Vigil for the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School
- General Meeting about School Safety
- Alachua County All Children Are Our Children Summit
- Reflections Celebration
- Citizens for Strong Schools Board & Committee Meetings
- Children’s Trust Kickoff
- Chartered GHS PTSA
- ESE Meet & Greet
- Sponsored Keith Perry’s visit to Hawthorne Middle-High to discuss impact of 7069.
- Presentations to all High School Student Government Groups asking them to join.
- Resumed ACCPTA School Visits
- Promoted the ALICE Parent Training Workshop
- Elected our 2018-2019 ACCPTA Officers
- Throw our first End of Year Bash!
Your ACCPTA Board Members Serve on:
- Florida PTA Board of Directors
- Florida PTA Resolutions Committee
- SWAG Child Center Advisory Board
- Alachua County Opioid Task Force
- School Planning Advisory Committee
- Food4Kids Backpack Program
- UF Medical Guild
- UF Autism Advisory Board
- Community Partnership School Community Leadership Council
- Chamber of Commerce i3 Steering Committee
- Citizens for Strong Schools Board & Committees