Mission & Purpose
The mission of PTAs everywhere is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. In short, we are advocates for ALL children. For over 120 years, we have been the largest volunteer child advocacy association in the United States.
Our motto: Every Child. One Voice.
PTA comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools. National PTA hosts family events, provides resources and programs for local PTA’s and advocates for legislation that benefits public schools. They also provide a wealth of resources for families, ranging from health and safety to how to engage at school.
Florida PTA is the largest statewide volunteer association working exclusively on behalf of children and youth. FL PTA provides additional training and resources for PTA leaders, hosts events, advocates at the state level for legislation and resources to benefit children, and assists families with programs such as health and wellness, diversity, equity and inclusion, and family engagement.
Alachua County Council of PTA’s
The Alachua County Council of PTAs (ACCPTAs) serves as a branch of Florida PTA, supporting and providing the county voice for our local PTA school units. To accomplish this, we:
- Support local school-based PTA units with opportunities to learn from each other and collaborate on projects
- Develop leadership through training
- Promote PTA membership throughout the community
- Coordinate communication among the local PTA, school community and school district
- Disseminate information from National and Florida PTA
- Advocate at the district and state level about issues that matter to Alachua County families
- Host programs and events with community-wide interest
Local (school-based) PTA units
PTA’s exist at individual schools to support the unique needs of the school community. They work with school administration and teachers to coordinate programs, services and events to enhance family engagement and educational opportunities for children. Examples of school-based PTA activities include:
- Literacy programs to encourage families to read together
- Staff appreciation activities to ensure school teachers and staff feel appreciated for the tremendous work they do
- Collaborative events to encourage families to meet each other and feel a part of the school community, such as carnivals, kickball games, skate nights, and movie nights
- Multi-cultural events and activities to celebrate school diversity and inclusion
- STEM events and programs to enhance student learning